Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Who Will Be The Cubs 5th Starter...Other News..Peavy TALKS

In this post, I will examine Marshall, Heilman, Gaudin, Guzman, and Samardzija as the possible 5th man in the rotation. I will not examine Jake Peavy, because as of now he's not a member of the Cubs and if he were, we'd wouldn't be having this conversation. (Winner in BOLD)

2008 ERA
Sean Marshall-3.86
Aaron Heilman-5.21
Chad Gaudin-4.40
Angel Guzman-3.56 (2007)
Jeff Samardzija-2.28


2008 Strikeouts/Walks and innings Pitched
Sean Marshall-58/23 65.1IP
Aaron Heilman-80/46 76IP
Chad Gaudin-71/27 90IP

Angel Guzman-26/9 30.1IP (2007)
Jeff Samardzija-25/15 27.2IP

2008 Hits/ER aloud (needs to be factored against IP)
Sean Marshall-60/28
Aaron Heilman-75/44
Chad Gaudin-92/44
Angel Guzman-32/12
Jeff Samardzija-24/7

2008 Starting Statistics
Sean Marshall-1-4 4.15ERA
Aaron Heilman-2-3 4.71ERA (2005, last time he actually started)
Chad Gaudin-3-2 3.75ERA
Angel Guzman-0-0 3.53ERA (2007, I know he started the last game of the year, but it was 2IP)
Jeff Samardzija-Hasn't in Majors

With the following stats, it looks like Chad Gaudin did better in 2008 then the rest. Before doing these numbers break down, I had Sean Marshall pencilled in as the 5th starter. But I just erased his name, and I've selected Chad Gaudin as my 5th starter for the Chicago Cubs. Yes I know Chad had back problems at the end of the 08' season, but all of a sudden he's my favorite of the bunch.

Disagree? Discuss about it in the comments!


As I started to write this post, Jake Peavy was on XX Sports Radio in San Diego; Peavy said he's "dang glad" to be a Padre after an offseason of trade talks. Peavy said he understands that business decisions led to a "crazy winter."

It looks to me like GM Kevin Towers "pressured" Peavy to calm the air.


NOTES: Within the next few weeks I'll have example custom made Chicago Cubs T-shirts on the blog.

Don't Forget, every Saturday @ Noon, I will have a Chat on this very website.

This story was approved by Chicago Cubs Blog-Phil Wilson

3 comments:

  1. I could live with Chad Gaudin as the Cubs fifth starter. Ive always liked Chad. He probably be an above average fifth starter going something like 12-9 4.27 era. He was better option the Jason Marquis was last year. To bad we couldnt get rid of Marquis sooner. Plus we need to keep Marshall as our second Lefty in the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about having Marshall as a Bullpen lefty and as Rich Harden's personal fill in starter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I would mind having any one of these guys as the 5th starter. I really think Marshall deserves it. I watched Angel Guzman pitch and start the last game of the season last year. He looked really good. I would love to see what he can do as a starter all season, he was so hyped a few years ago. And who here can't wait for Samardzija to be in our rotation, is there anyone?

    ReplyDelete

Followers